The Official Website of Utah County Government

Utah County Clerk/Auditor

Amelia A. Powers

Utah County Auditor

  • Hours/Location
  • Marriage License
  • Reqs for Age 18+
  • Reqs for Age 16-17
  • Officiants
Utah County Administration Building
100 East Center, Suite 3600 (3rd Floor)
Provo, UT 84606
Accepting applications from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday (Closed all Federal Holidays & Pioneer Day)

Requirements for All Applicants Ages 16 & 17

  • A minor must obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian
  • A parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in person at the time of application, and must provide valid identification
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by court documents or divorce decree
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by court documents or divorce decree
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate
  • Current valid picture identification
  • Written authorization from a judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides; or a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council

As of May 14, 2019, applicants 15 years of age and younger cannot obtain a marriage license under Utah law

Frequently Asked Questions
What if I can't apply in person?  Click on heading for answer.

In the rare situation where both spouses are unable to apply for a marriage license in person, one spouse may use the application below to apply for the license without the other spouse present. This application must be signed in the presence of a notary, who will verify the identity/age of the person signing. The spouse who will be applying for the license must bring the completed/notarized application, a copy of the absent spouse's photo ID, and any necessary supporting documentation (such as a divorce decree). This form CANNOT be used for any spouse who is under the age of 18 at the time of signing.


Who may perform Marriages?  Click on heading for answer.

The authority to officiate marriages is governed by Utah Code 30-1-6. The following list is a summary of the code:

  • Ministers, Rabbis, or Priests of any religious denomination who are in regular communion with any religious society, and are 18 years of age or older.
  • Native American spiritual advisors
  • The Governor
  • Mayors of Municipalities
  • Justice Court Judges
  • A Judge or Commissioner of a court of record
  • The County Clerk, if the clerk chooses to officiate marriages
  • Any person designated by the County Clerk (click on the Services & Fees tab for more information)
  • The president of the Senate
  • The speaker of the House of Representatives
  • Judges or magistrates of the United States
  • A judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

How do I change my name?  Click on heading for answer.

We do not handle name changes through our office. We will send you a certified copy of your marriage license, which should be sufficient proof of your marriage to any government agency. Name changes are typically handled by the Social Security Administration and the Driver’s License Division.

  • For more information on changing your name through the Social Security Administration, go to www.ssa.gov to learn more and find your local Social Security office.
  • For information on changing your name through the Driver’s License Division, contact your local Driver's License Division office. Here is the link to find the nearest office to you.
    Utah State Division of Driver's License Offices
  • You can update your voter registration online. Visit the Utah County Clerk/Auditor Voter Registration page to learn more.
  • Update your passport information. This will require you to send your certified copy of your marriage license and US Passport Form DD-5504 by mail if your passport was issued within the last year. If your passport was issued more than one year ago, but has not yet expired, you will need to use US Passport Form DS-82 instead. You may contact us at 801-851-8226 or 801-851-8108 if you have a question about how to do this correctly.

This free handbook provides valuable information and resources for those contemplating marriage as well as those already married



The Marriage License Division of Utah County Government tries to ensure that the information made available on the County's website is accurate and complete. Due to factors beyond the control of the County, however, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modification of information or errors and omissions made in inputting and posting data. The County may make changes to a web page at any time to update, add or correct the information made available. If you have any questions regarding what information is acceptable or required in order to complete a Marriage Application, contact the Marriage License division at 801-851-8226 or 801-851-8108.