The Official Website of Utah County Government


Utah County Clerk/Auditor

Bryan E. Thompson

Utah County Auditor



Notice: Official Statement on Supreme Court Decision relating to Same Sex Marriage




The applicants must appear together at the same time at the Utah County Clerk's Office.

Fees - Effective January 2015


The fee is $40.00 payable by cash, credit (Visa or Mastercard only) or debit cards. It includes one certified copy of the marriage license, which will be mailed after the marriage is solemnized.

Additional certified copies are available for $5.00 for each copy.



Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. (The office is not open on Saturday, Sunday or holidays)

Requirements and Application



A marriage license may be issued by the County Clerk after the applicants provide the following required information:

Marriage License Application This document is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. NOTE - EACH APPLICANT MUST FILL OUT A FORM

Legal Age


Applicants must be 18 years of age and have legal proof of age: Valid drivers license, birth certificate, or passport.

Marriage by Minors


Applicants under the age of 18 years of age are required to have :

  • If the applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must be present to sign consent.
  • If the applicant is 15 years of age, an authorization to marry must be provided by a juvenile judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides. The written authorization may also be obtained from a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council. Please contact our office for a form. (Section 30-1-9 Marriage by Minors)
  • Applicants 14 years of age and younger cannot obtain a marriage license under Utah law.

Miscellaneous Information


Licenses are valid for 30 days from date of issue and may be used anywhere within the State of Utah. The license remains the property of Utah County and must be returned to the County Clerk after the marriage is solemnized or not solemnized.

The person performing the ceremony will be responsible to complete the Marriage Certificate and the Marriage License.

Criteria to Perform Marriage Ceremonies This document is in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format.

After the ceremony you will receive the Marriage Certificate. The person performing the marriage is responsible for returning the Marriage License to the Clerk/Auditor's office within two weeks of the marriage. After the Marriage License is returned to the office, a certified copy will be mailed to you in the envelope you address in our office. The certified copy of your Marriage License is your official proof of marriage.

The Social Security office and the Drivers License Division will want to see the certified copy of the Marriage License for any last name changes. The Social Security office and the Drivers License Division are the two main places but you may need to go to banks, insurance companies, passport office, etc... Most people will just need to see the certified copy, but they generally do not need to keep the copy.

If you do need a certified copy in the future, we will always file the original Marriage License in our office. Certified copies are $5.00 for each copy.

Name Change Guidelines


  • The first and most important step is to obtain a certified copy of your Marriage license from the county office where your marriage license was issued. One certified copy of your Utah County Marriage License is included in your marriage license fee. Additional certified copies are available for $5.00 for each copy. Once you receive the official copy, you can take it to the following offices for change of name and address..
  • The Social Security Office
    485 North Freedom Blvd
    Provo, UT 84601
    Hours: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday
    For more information visit the website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov
  • Driver License Division
    1503 South 40 East
    Campus Credit Union Bldg
    2nd Floor
    Provo, UT 84606
    Hours: 7:00 am - 6:00 pm Monday - Thursday
  • If you currently do not have a Utah Driver License or you have an out of state Driver License, you will need to go to :

  • Driver License Orem Office
    759 N. 1370 W.
    Hours: 7:00 am - 6:00 pm Monday - Thursday
    For more information visit the website at : http://www.driverlicense.utah.gov
  • Your bank or financial institution, insurance company, Post Office and employer.
  • You can get a new voter's registration form from the County Clerk's Office, the Utah State Elections web site or the Drivers License Office. Complete your name and address and return to the County Clerks Office.
  • Update your passport information. This will require you to send your certified copy of your marriage license and an application for a US passport by mail form available in the Clerk's Office or at the U.S. Department of State website.



The Marriage License Division of Utah County Government tries to ensure that the information made available on the County's website is accurate and complete. Due to factors beyond the control of the County, however, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modification of information or errors and omissions made in inputting and posting data. The County may make changes to a web page at any time to update, add or correct the information made available. If you have any questions regarding what information is acceptable or required in order to complete a Marriage Application, contact the Marriage License division at 801-851-8226 or 801-851-8108.